Thursday, September 5, 2013

Back to School - International Cuisine Thursday!! :)

I am SO excited to be back in school.  I have more cooking classes this semester, and if today's class was any indication, they are going to be GREAT!

Thursdays, I have International Cuisine.  Today's class was China and Korea.  Boy, did we cook!!

Here is what we made!!

China:
  • Hot & Sour Soup
  • Pot Stickers
  • Stir-Fried Bok Choy
  • Porcupine Meatballs
  • Emerald Shrimp
  • Fried Rice
  • Bean Curd in Oyster Sauce
 
Korea:
  • Beef Bulgogi
  • Seasoned Soy
  • Vinegar Soy
  • Spicy Radish
  • Seasoned Mushrooms
  • Korean Pancakes
  • Quick Kimchi



My friend and I were in charge of the Stir-Fried Bok Choy and Porcupine Meatballs.  I had never had either of them, so it was a great experience! 

For the Porcupine Meatballs, we ground our own pork using the grinder attachment for the KitchenAid Mixer.  I REALLY want this attachment - it was so nice!!  They also had lots of ginger, spices, and bamboo shoots.  After shaping, the meatballs were rolled in glutinous rice and steamed.  After they were cooked, we took some of them and threw them in the deep fryer.  The rice got crispy and was SO delicious...I loved the mix of textures in the fried meatballs.  We served them with a sauce made of rice vinegar and ginger.  We had some leftover pork filling and used it in two ways - wrapped in wonton wrappers and deep fried, and made into little patties and fried on the stovetop.  Every bite was great!


The Stir-Fried Bok Choy we made was so easy - the hardest part was chopping up all of the vegetables!  It had bok choy (duh), mushrooms, and onions, quickly stir-fried and finished with a little chicken stock and sesame oil, thickened with cornstarch.  Simply delicious!!


This class is going to be great - I can tell already!  We all worked really well together, and everybody pulled their weight in the kitchen, so there wasn't any one person stuck doing all the work.  I am EXCITED about this delicious new semester!!


Next International Cuisine class, we are going to Japan...I can't wait to see what yummies we are going to make!!!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment