Saturday, September 7, 2013

One Last Summer Fling!

Oh, summer...how I love you.  I can't believe you left us so soon.  I will miss your sunny goodness.  Lounging poolside.  Trips to the beach.  Soaking up the sun.  Delicious summer fruits and vegetables.

*sigh*

Is it just me, or did this summer go by FAST?

One of my favorite summer treats is fresh, sweet corn on the cob.  The last time I went grocery shopping, Walmart had a great sale on corn, so I snatched some up.  Then, I put in in the fridge and forgot about it.

Oops.

By the time I got around to making it, the corn had lost some of its summery perfection.  Don't get me wrong - it was still beautiful.  Just...not quite as beautiful as when I first got it.  Some of us get better with age, but unfortunately for this beautiful sweet treat, fresh corn really should be eaten as soon as it's picked.

As I was pondering what to do with these less-than-perfect summer gems, it hit me.  There isn't a food on the planet that doesn't benefit from a little butter and cream.  And corn is no different!  Plus, it was SUPER easy to make, and it turned out GREAT!!



The Cast:
Fresh corn on the cob (I had 5 of them)
Butter (2-3 Tbsp)
Heavy Cream (1/2 cup)
Salt, Pepper, and Sugar to taste



Use a sharp knife to remove the kernels of corn from the cobs.  Then, use the back of the knife (or a spoon) to give the naked cobs a good scrape to get all of the sweet, corny, milky goodness left on the cobs.  There is a lot of liquid left in there!  I cut and scraped directly into a saucepan, then added a little bit of butter (about 3 Tbsp) and the cream.  If your corn isn't sweet enough, add a touch of sugar, and season with salt and pepper.  Then, just simmer the corny, creamy  mixture until it's nice and tender, about 15 minutes.

That's it!


I let mine to a little too long without watching it, and the cream evaporated too much.  Some of the kernels got a little brown.  But that's ok!  It was still delicious!  Next time, I won't walk away while it's cooking (I have a bad habit of doing that!) and add a little milk if it starts to evaporate too much. 

The ultimate test is the family - if they don't like something, I'll never make it again.  What did they think of my creamed corn?


As you can see, they thought it was awful.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment