Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter!

It is the end of an exhausting Easter day, and I had a GREAT time.  The kids are happy with their baskets - they both declared this the best Easter EVER.  I'd say it was a success!!

The only thing I was NOT successful at?  FOOD PICS!!  How can I have a food blog and forget to take pictures of our Easter feast??!!  Crazy!

We had SO much food.  And it was delicious.  I am SO looking forward to leftovers!!


The only thing I actually took pictures of was the heavenly homemade Jewish Egg Bread that I made in our bread machine.  

Do you have a bread machine?  If not, you should get one.  Now.

Go ahead, I'll wait....

While you're out, you can pick up a copy of The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook.  This is the best bread machine book I've found so far.  I got a copy of it from the library and ended up saving dozens of recipes, including the Jewish Egg Bread that I made for Easter.

The Cast:
Warm Water
Eggs
Oil
Flour
Salt
Sugar
Vital Wheat Gluten
Yeast


This is the easiest recipe ever.  All you need to do is throw all of the ingredients in the bread machine.  The order will depend on your machine - mine is liquid on the bottom, then the dry ingredients, with the yeast on top.


I know my quirky bread machine - this is a 1 lb. loaf, but I bake it on the 2 lb. loaf setting, dark crust.  I have found that this setting produces the best loaf of bread.  Yours may be different - so play with it!  Don't be afraid of loaves not turning out - it happens to the best of us!!

When I first start my machine, it takes a little bit of babysitting.  I usually need to help coax the flour in, and most of the time I need to add extra water.  I just keep the top open the first few minutes and watch it.  


Once it gets going, I don't need to worry any more - I just leave it alone to do its thing!  Here are a couple of action shots...cuz I'm that easily amused.


Just let it go and a few hours later, out pops a beautiful, golden brown, crusty, tender, deliciously beautiful loaf of Jewish Egg Bread.


SO yummy.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment