Friday, March 29, 2013

Wingin' It - Breakfast Style!

There are few things that strike as much fear in my husband's heart than when I say "I'm wingin' it!" when he asks me what I'm making.  I would love to say that his fears are totally unfounded, but...things don't always turn out.  It's just the way of the world.  But when they DO work out, they really work out well.  It's a wonderful thing!!

For breakfast today, I decided to wing it - and got mixed reviews.  I decided to make my own version of a breakfast casserole.  I knew I was doomed from the start, because my dear hubby HATES casseroles.  I am determined to change his mind about them - and I think I have presented some pretty compelling arguments for the humble one-dish meal - but to him, this particular attempt was not as successful as I would have liked.

The kids, on the other hand, DEVOURED theirs.  In fact, I missed getting a picture of my fresh-from-the-oven casserole because my two little vultures were circling, acting like they hadn't eaten for a year.

As for me?  Sorry hon, I love you with all my heart, but I have to side with the kids on this one - I thought it was yummy.

The Cast:
Bread (I used the rest of the loaf of herb bread I made the other day.)
Cheddar Cheese
Bacon
Eggs
Milk

Cube the bread up and put it in your baking dish.  Sprinkle with a few handfuls of cheddar cheese.


Cut the bacon into bite-sized pieces and brown over medium heat to render out the fat.


Try REALLY HARD not to chow down on the beautiful, brown bacon.  But go ahead and have a few bites - I won't tell anyone!


Sprinkle the bacon on top of the cheese.


Whip up some eggs (I think I used about 6) and milk (a few cups) until it's nice and frothy.  I also threw in some parsley because I like a little green in there.  Chives or green onions would be great too!


Pour over the bread and let it sit for a few minutes to soak in.  If you don't have enough egg mixture, don't worry - just whip up a little more and pour it over!


Throw it in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes to an hour.  Take it out when it is nice and bubbly brown and the egg is set.

Here is mine after the vultures were done.


Such a yummy, warm, tummy-pleasing breakfast - go ahead and have a big ole piece, then take a nap!!  :)

On an unrelated note...I just noticed that a bunch of my posts have DISAPPEARED!!  I'm so bummed!!  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment